It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing® is a national public education campaign supported and administered by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), part of the National Institutes of Health. The campaign is designed to increase awareness among children ages 8 to 12 (preteens) and their parents about the causes and prevention of noise-induced hearing loss. The NIDCD encourages individuals and organizations to use Noisy Planet materials and messages, and to distribute them to a variety of audiences.
It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing® (the word mark), and the Noisy Planet logo are registered trademarks of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). To maintain the integrity of the campaign, the logo and word mark (the brand) may only be used on materials associated with activities related to the Noisy Planet campaign, hearing health and hearing protection, or noise-induced hearing loss.
The Noisy Planet logo and word mark should not be used on materials that speak negatively or in a derogatory fashion about a person who has hearing loss. Noisy Planet should never be associated with unhealthy behaviors or products (e.g., alcohol consumption, tobacco use, or firearms) or related companies. In addition, the Noisy Planet brand cannot be used to endorse (or appear to endorse) any other organization or its products or services.
Use of the Noisy Planet Logo and Word Mark
To use the Noisy Planet brand on any materials you develop, you must have a Noisy Planet partner agreement and conform with guidelines outlined in a Noisy Planet Trademark License Agreement. If you are interested in becoming a Noisy Planet partner, please contact NPInfo@nidcd.nih.gov or 800-241-1044 for more information.
If you would like to use the Noisy Planet brand on materials you develop for use in your community and among your constituency, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
The Noisy Planet logo may be used by Noisy Planet partners and other individuals or organizations in one of three ways:
- The Noisy Planet word mark should always appear in italics and with the trademark registration symbol: "It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing®"
- All materials that use the Noisy Planet word mark and/or logo must include an attribution statement crediting ownership of the mark to the legal owner. Typically, the attribution statement is displayed at the end of the material, in the footer of the document, or on the back of the package, e.g.: "It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing® is a registered trademark of HHS."
- All materials used with the Noisy Planet logo or word mark must include a legible licensing notice and statement of non-endorsement: "It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). Participation by ____ does not imply endorsement by HHS/NIH/NIDCD."
- Do not alter the logo or combine the word mark with the name of any licensee or third party product, program, or service to create a composite mark. Marks should not be adulterated by combining them into a composite with marks owned by others, or otherwise modifying them from the form ordinarily used in commerce, or as registered in the Trademark Office.
Use of Noisy Planet Materials
Noisy Planet materials are not copyrighted and are in the public domain, with exception of the Noisy Planet logo and word mark. Permission is not needed when reproducing materials. Reproduction and use of Noisy Planet products imply agreement with NIDCD stated policies.
When reproducing materials, the NIDCD requests that one of the following statements be added:
- A message from (your organization) and the It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing® public awareness campaign, a program of the National Institutes of Health.
- Information provided by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), part of the National Institutes of Health.
- For more information, contact the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) at 800-241-1044 or visit https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov.
Materials adapted from Noisy Planet messages and products should include the following message: "Adapted from the It's a Noisy Planet. Protect Their Hearing® public awareness campaign (https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov), a program of the National Institutes of Health."
If you have questions about these guidelines, please contact Noisy Planet at NPInfo@nidcd.nih.gov or 800-241-1044.